NTLK Re: Looking for Messaging Cards

From: Steve Dockery (sdockery@gte.net)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 23:59:12 CDT

I got my Socket Pagecard on eBay. I sometimes see the original Apple
Messaging Card for sale on there as well. There are a few differences
between them: The Socket PageCard has a display, so it can be used as a
stand-alone pager. The AMC does not. However, the AMC uses a normal battery
(AAA?), whereas the PageCard uses a hard-to-find Zinc Air battery. I believe
the AMC was co-engineered by Socket and Apple, and the PageCard was a later
version.

The PageCard uses a program called "Update" to read the messages off the
card into the Newton. It also came with "PageNow" which will let you send
out alphanumeric pages via a modem.

Once you get one of these cards, you still have the now formidable problem
of getting paging service for it, since it's old technology. Socket until
recently offered their own service, but they are discontinuing it. Those
customers are being moved to PageNet. I asked PageNet about it, and it took
a lot of digging before I found anyone who even knew what a PageCard was.
Most of them said "Sorry, we don't do that." Then, once I found the right
person to talk to, I had to plead to get service, since they really only
want to move the existing customers over.

At this point, we've tested it, and it works, but I haven't actually signed
up for the service yet- they have to send me the pricing and other info.

-Steve

P.S. - Many thanks to everyone who offered advice to me when I was
attempting to get my PageCard service activated.