Re: NTLK GPS / Flash space card

From: Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 07:47:24 CDT

frederic.pache@belgacom.be wrote:
> Planning to buy my first flash card, I would like to know how space is
> necessary in order to run GPS Map 2?
GPSmap - 190k
ICAO-GE - 185k (german air map)
NewTerm - 61k (not neccessarily needed, only for getting the serial port
running)
Aargau - 925k (!) (A map of the swiss canton Argovie, 1:300000, approx.
size of NYC :-)
UKmap - 4.5MB (!!) (as the name suggests: UK in two parts North and
South, so Scotia and Eire are incl.)

> Is a 6MB card sufficient for several maps? Brussels and Wallonia (+/- 1/2
> part of Belgium)
YES :-) However it depends on your requirements on resolution. A street
level map will cover a very little area but occupy the same RAM space
like a world map with coutry names only.

> What is the best GPS PCMCIA card for the Newton?
I've never tried a PCMCIA card GPS but would like to do. If it draws
more then 100mA it will cause a battery problem. However, GPSmap can
send an init string where you should a) limit the output strings of the
GPS to the absolute limit and b) increase the interval between two
measurements in order to conserve batt power.

> And concerning the GPS receiver?
Get a 12 Channel and why not an external device w/o display. Or get an
experimental kit, e.g. the Rockwell Jupiter 12 ch with RS232 converter
board.

> Also I would like to install all the GPS system in my car.
I had to install rear speakers in my car and used this occasion to put a
passive GPS antenna onto the rear wind guard of my SpaceRunner. Then I
could use the cable trays of the speaker cables and pull a coaxial wire
to the drivers seat. You will definitly need a sort of snap-in craddle
for the Newton, even if you want to take it out of the car each time. I
took the tilt mount of my Panasonic active GPS antenna (reqired drilling
in the frontpanel) and fixed the Newton with Velcro tape to it. The
Velcro works quite well because its size was rather large (about 2 x
3"). However, I don't like it much and will probably mill out something
from PVC. Another posistion I've successfully tried is just under the
roof at the sunscreen. This was highly provisional but convinient to
read the display. Another good position was the Newton in Landscape
format and jammed between Windscreen and instruments. That was fine for
reading the display while driving and also well with bright sunlight but
is only useable with fixations (especially in curves :-) The
disadvantage of the Newton touching the windscreen is that the glass
will gather dew in the winter just above the Newton. So some fixation
which maintains an inch space to the windscreen is necessary.

--

Regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand

http://www.psi.ch/SLS http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing *************************************** NewtonTalk brought to you by: