NTLK Yes - batteries again

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 07:38:35 CDT

>NiCad - have memory effect.

Correct. What is named memory effect has changed, though. Not that this
would interest you as both the "classic" memory effect and what this
term describes today lead to a decrease in the battery's perfomance.

>Good to do full "deep" discharges.

Correct. Theoretically. But unless you have a gadget at your disposal that
ensures correct conditions for this kind of discharge, you have a more
than fair chance that the harm done will exceed the possible benefit.

>Li-Ion - have less memory effect than NiMH, but still some.

No idea. They are said to have no memory effect at all, but I don't have
any,
so I can't say anything based on personal experience.

> **NOT** good to deep discharge often.

I wouldn't say "not good" and I wouldn't say "often". Better make it
"hazardous" and "at all. LiIon batteries may not discharged below about
2.5 volts, otherwise they will be harmed.

Lastly, make sure you don't mistake "deep discharge" for the normal way to
discharge a cell within its specification. The latter stops at about
1.0 .. 1.1 volts which is within normal operation conditions, the former
deals with voltages < 1.0 volts.

Frank