NTLK Soldering batteries

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 04:02:51 CDT

>I have found AA Nimh batteries rated for 1600 MAH for $2.99 each
>(in quantity 20 or above). No solder tabs unfortunately.

I've frequently soldered batteries without solder tabs. The trick
is to do this very, very fast to limit the heat the batt takes
as much as possible.
With a high watt soldering iron (not the one you usually repair
your car with, but around 100 watts) and a good tip you can solder
a wire to the terminals in seconds.
I only do this with accu packs I urgently need and can't repair
otherwise. I these cases I don't care if the batt loses some of
its capacity due to this unfriendly treatment. However, so far
all of them have survived this quiete well.

Frank