Re: NTLK Fwd: Re: Memory Loss

From: Victor Rehorst (chuma@chuma.org)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 14:24:29 CDT

(CCing Simon on this one)

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Ivan Shaw wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 1 2000 Kenny Song wrote:
> >Ok, the above mail is actually directed to all SimpleMail 4.0 users, especially those of us who's trying to pin down the memory loss.
> >According to Simon, if we set to Receive All Mails, there would be no memory loss. Can we give this a try and report back to Simon?

[snip]
> When I picked up your previous reply, I was a bit surprised when you
> mentioned the memory loss even with filtering off. However, after
> reading Simon's message, I did go and send myself the last 300 NTLK
> messages to see if I could detect any loss in the internal store. The
> short answer is "no."

Well, I was going to do this as well, but it appears that Ivan beat me to
it. So it is the filtering itself, not just the filters that file messages.
The headers of every single message processed by a filter are getting copied
and then lost.

The really disturbing thing is: if the "lost headers" aren't in the In/Out
box soup, and aren't assigned to any soup, then how are they staying around?
Very scary. :)

> SM4's filtering is still inactive and I've left prefs such that it
> receives and downloads unlimited messages. I've now done the 300 message
> download twice and there has been no change in either store.
[snip]

> Well, I use mail filters on the Newton primarily to eliminate message
> noise so I'd prefer to keep this option. Ideally, the user could elect
> to enable/disable this function.

I wasn't having this problem at all when I was filtering my NewtonTalk
messages. New messages in the NewtonTalk folder that I read would stay in
the NewtonTalk folder - my "File read messages in" preference is set to
"Unfiled Items."

Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | chuma@chuma.org
Secretary, CASU & CPES College Governments, University of Guelph, Canada
Newton Resources: Ethernet, Mailing List Archive, Newton Cage File Archive,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ FAQ, Documentation, Books, Projects and fun, too!
                  http://www.chuma.org/newton/