Re: NTLK Compact Flash Memory PCMCIA Adaptors

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 23:34:45 EST

Yo Myq and everybody else.

>something to do with the way the Newton OS stores it's data. It needs linear
>flash, which I guess is more like RAM, as opposed to ATA flash, which is I
>guess analagous to a hard drive. I'm not really sure what linear nor ATA
>mean, but give it a try if you've got access to one. I could be wrong. Check
>the Newton FAQs. I know one talks about memory types.
>
>myq

ATA Flash card Memory comes in Type I PCMCIA cards and is not
intended to be used in Newtons. They can and will work in Notebook
and Powerbook computers and basically look and feel like fast hard
disk drives.

CF or Compact Flash memory is the same as ATA Flash Memory, except
they come in a different packaging and are generally designed to be
used in digital cameras. They can be used in note- and powerbooks as
well but require a PCMCIA adaptor.

Linear Flash memory is what we need to use in the Newtons. They seem
to be using different memory chips and different controller chips
inside the cards.

If you would like to know which card to use in your Newton, go to

http://www.timasci.com/linear.htm

They lay it out for you pretty well. ATA Flash or CF Memory cards
will absolutely NOT work in Newtons, so don't go and spend a lot of
money on something you can't use.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com