Re:NTLK In Praise of Newton's Handwritng was: In Praise Of Assist

From: jon glass (jonglass@usa.net)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 01:10:56 EST

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 6:44 AM, NewtonTalk
<mailto:newtontalk@planetnewton.com> wrote:
> I've become lazy and sloppy! So,
> I'm certain that I have not modified my handwriting if
> only to have it become worse through the marvelous
> science that is Newton! (does this mean my writing
> skills have attrified?)

I liked your story. I'm also notorious for horrible handwriting. I'm a
lefty, and have learned a wierd way of writing. I know that my handwriting,
at least on the Newton has improved. I have also realized something else. I
watch others try to write on my Newton, and they often have very
non-standard ways of forming their letters, or pick up the pen in the
middle of a letter, and other strange stuff. I think the most important
thing for the Newton is that your form your letters correctly. They may
look like scratch, but you actually wrote it in a recognizable manner. Does
that make sense? Curious on how you actually form your letters. Do you have
any really wierd letters? If so, are these the sorts of things you have
created expansions for?

If you think about it, the Newton's handwriting (printing) recognition and
editing tricks are amazing. One wishes they would somehow market that for
other platforms. It would be fascinating to see it on an iBook, or even
another PDA. Maybe their Palm clone? It's a shame to see it languish
because of the death of Newton.

-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
<mailto:jonglass@usa.net>