Re: Serial57600 use (was:Re: NTLK having a problem with NewtonConnection Utilites)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 11:26:59 EST

"W.Lichtenberger" wrote:

> At 12:32 25.02.00 -0500, you wrote:
> >"W.Lichtenberger" wrote:
> >
> >> So, Laurent, please tell us the whereabouts of this Serial57600 and what to
> >> do to the registry in detail, if you don't mind :-).
> >
> >I don't remember exactly where I got this package. I think someone from
> Japan did
> >write it. You should find it in any good Newton archive on the net. If not, I
> >could certainly upload it to a few of them. I don't know what are the
> differences
> >with the high speed package you mention. They're probably pretty much the
> same.
>
> Not so. With High Speed Serial Templates (henceforth HSST), my MP2100 won't
> connect to NCU at 57600, although the Docs mention speed up to 115.2 kBd.
>
> Try as i might, i'm not able to find Serial57600, at least not at AmUG,
> Clausthal, NewtonCage, NewtonMAD...; nor by Altavista, WebCrawler...
> So could you please upload it somewhere & tell about it?
> TIA...
>
> >As far as the registry is concerned, here's what I just sent to another user:
> >
> >2. If you don't know about the Windows Registry, I'm not sure I should
> tell you
> >what to do, but, you'll make the final decision.
>
> Aw, what the heck, i'll be brave! 8^)
>
> >Only knows that if you screw up
> >the registry, you can severly impaired your computer, and in the worst
> case you
> >might have to re-install the whole system, I was told. I'm not a real Windows
> >expert, but I've been able to do the following modification to the registry
> >without any prior experience.
> [...detailed registry navigation omitted...]
>
> OK. According to your tips i replaced (exported .reg files contents)
> ---
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Apple\Newton Connection Utilities\Communications]
> "COM3"="enabled COM3:38400,n,8,1 Seriell 0 : "
> ---
> with
> ---
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Apple\Newton Connection Utilities\Communications]
> "COM3"="enabled COM3:57600,n,8,1 Seriell 0 : "
> ---
> This was a rather obvious location & patch value and i really ought to have
> found it looking myself instead of bothering others... 8^)
>
> >14. Launch "ncu.exe" on your PC. Don't go in the settings and more important,
> >don't edit them or the speed will revert to 38400, as the software itself
>
> Indeed it does, as Regedit hastens to show.
>
> >doesn't have this 57600 bps speed. Even if you open the setting for COM1 or
> >COM2, you will still see 38400, but that's not relevant. The value used is
> the
> >one you put in the registry.
> >15. Launch the docking/communication application on your MessagePad.
> >16. Tap the "Connect via" popup menu.
> [...]

I've just realised that the package is from Richard C. Li. You can find it at:

<http://www.ee.cityu.edu.hk/~clli/unixnpi.html>

It looks like it's an auxiliary package to UnixNPI, which is a $11 shareware. So, I
don't really know where it stands, regarding UnixNPI. Might be worth an email to
Richard, which I'll send right away.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Object Factory, Substrate Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
Fax: 703-833-7555 Usual disclaimers apply

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com