Re: NTLK Porting PalmOS Emulator to Newton?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 00:33:49 EST

On 2/26/2000 10:14 PM, Patrick J Ketelaar [mailto:ketelaar@SLU.EDU]
wrote:

>Palm gracefully donates the sources for the palm os emulator on their
>website, and developers or owners of a palmos device can obtain a ROM to
>run that emulator. heres a good question, what would need to be done to
>port that emulator to work on a newton? would anyone be interested in such
>a thing? I have very very little newton programming experience, but is
>there anyone with more that would be interested in seeing what kind of work
>this requires, and if it is feasible? Personally, I would pay up to $50 to
>buy a piece of software that does this, and would love to have the
>functionality of my palm on my newton, so i dont have to carry both. just
>looking for some way to run OS 3.3 or maybe even 3.5 (not the color, but
>regular os (non-ez)).

Not really feasible. Not impossible, just a tremendous amount of work.
Basically you'd have to rewrite the thing from scratch in NewtonScript.
You can't really use the existing PalmOS emulator source code on a
Newton. While there are C++ tools for programming the Newton those are
really only intended/feasible for speeding up performance bottleneck
routines that need to get closer to the CPU than NewtonScript does.

It'd be cool, though.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com