NTLK How to connect a newton 2000 (prob any newton) to mindspring

From: ZACINCCEO@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 14:28:23 EST

Hi all, I called Mindspring because I want to check my mail there, anyway
they sent me this for my Newton hope it will help people thanks
as Steve Jobs once said "The Journey is the Reward"

How to Connect a Newton 2000 to Mindspring

Mindspring Technical Support staff cannot assist you in the use of this
documentation. If you have corrections, or a request for documentation,
please send E-Mail to webmaster@help.mindspring.com. Thank you for
understanding that providing quality technical support requires us to
limit the scope of our support.

A. Owner Information

  1. Select your name.

  2. Click Add Enroute Internet Settings.

  3. Enter your Mindspring mailbox name.

  4. Open the slip to enter the password again.

  5. Enter the following information:

        POP Host: pop.mindspring.com
        SMTP Host: mail.mindspring.com

B. Setup Options

 In Setup options is an Internet template for Mindspring. This enters
 the DNS address and Mindspring's domain name.

  1. Enter your User ID or e-mail address.
     (example: mailbox@mindspring.com)

  2. Open the slip and enter your password.

  3. Accept defaults on the next two screens.

  *TIPS:
     The Newton doesn't understand 10-digit dialing. If your area code
     and the dialed-number area code disagree, it will insist on dialing
     the 1 first. (For Example, The area code for the Atlanta suburbs is 770,

     but the only local Mindspring POP is in area code 404.)

     If you have encountered this problem, and you do not want to
     correct it manually each time, duplicate your Mindspring setup.
     You can name the second Setup MindSpring 2 and enter the phone
     number exactly as follows: (770)4046541300

     *NOTE: Check with your local telephone company to determine if
            any tolls apply when using the number provided to you by
            MindSpring. MindSpring assumes no responsibility for any
            long distance charges that you may incur.

            The Newton sees the '770' area code, then dials everything
            outside the parentheses.

C. To Connect

  1. Click the InOut box.

  2. Click Receive.

  3. Dial your access number.

D. E-mail

The E-mail program defaults to reading only small messages, and to leaving
everything, large and small, on the server. This way, you can still retrieve
your e-mail when you return to your primary computer, without having any
mail trapped on your Newton.

E. Web Browser

The Web browser is functional. No frames, no Shockwave, no Java but it
displays text and graphics perfectly fine. Photographs are well-recognized
since the Newton 2000 has a 16-greyscale screen. Additionally, The built-in
software does everything except reading Usenet NewsGroups.

If you have additional questions or problems, please contact us via
Java support or email, or call our Tech Support dept at 800-719-4660
or 404-815-9111. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thank you,

MindSpring Technical Support
support@mindspring.com
http://help.mindspring.com/support/ Online Help Documents