Re: NTLK Network lan cards and PCMCIA

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 18:56:15 EST

>Hello fellow Newtoneers,
>
>Well, I am happy to say that with all your help I was finally able to A) get
>my modem card working and B) get Newt's Cape operating on all cylinders. This
>Newton PDA really rocks! Its a shame that Apple pulled the plug on it--it
>would have really given the Palm world a run for its money.

If you so impressed by the MP130, you would probably jump through the
roof, looking at the MP2100 :)

>Anyway, I am looking for bigger and better ways of connectivity. I have 2
>questions... the first is, what is the difference between PCMCIA type 1 and 2
>cards? I was shopping for ethernet/lan cards and some said it would support
>one type or the other. What does my faithful little Newton 130 have? (or can
>support)

AFAIK, nobody makes these type I cards any more. What you get these
days are all type II cards, I have never myself seen a type III card
- they must really be something special.

>My second question is, can I use an ethernet card (RJ-45 connecter) on my
>newton? and will it work with Newt's Cape?

Not on the MP130, it does not support Ethernet cards :-(. This
functionality, you only get with the MP2x00 and NIE 2.0 with Ethernet
devices. But you are fine, as long as you're connecting to the net,
using a modem. Being a "mobile" device, maybe Ethernet is not really
required, since you don't have network ports readily available in
most places. I usually carry my PowerBook with me everywhere I go in
any case. Of course, it never raises any eyebrows, on the contrary,
people look at me kind of funny, since nobody seems to believe that
Macs are any good, ignorant buggers ;). The Newton, on the other
side has everybody drooling - the only "bad" comments I get on it is
about it's size.

>If so, I would like to hear from those of you that are successfully using
>such a card. Please tell me the brand and model because I have no idea what
>would be compatible with my MP130.

Since the MP130 has very little built-in memory, you might want to
get a memory card for it, I got some a while back for $45 and 4 MB
each, and they are working just fine. There are some others, bigger
ones, I have heard, which would also work in an MP130 but the 6 MB
Intel cards for $35 will absolutely not work. The ones I have are
original Apple.

Because the PCMCIA slot in the Newton is occupied by the memory card,
I decided to go for the Global Village 33.6 Modems, they work just
fine with Newton Modem selected as modem type. They plug into the
serial port on the side.
If you want to treat yourself to something nice, you can also get
yourself a Newton keyboard ... and all of a sudden, you have a
complete computer system which fits in a handbag :).

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com