Re: NTLK Farallon Etherwave Localtalk adapter

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 00:59:44 EST

On 2/21/2000 9:32 PM, Constantine Karbaliotis
[mailto:constantine.k@home.com] wrote:

>I am successfully using the Farallon Etherwave to plug into my Newton
>130's serial port and connect to my Mac through Appletalk; nice and fast
>in comparison to plain old localtalk.

Actually, you ARE using Plain Old LocalTalk. The serial port didn't
suddenly get any faster because you are using an Etherwave to serial
adapter....it's just transforming Ethernet AppleTalk to LocalTalk
(serial) AppleTalk. There would probably be some speedup due to the
higher speed of Ethernet itself, but it shouldn't compare to a TRUE
Ethernet to Ethernet connection as it's still got to be slowed down to
serial LocalTalk/Appletalk speeds, which are about 230Kbps as opposed to
10Mbps).

>I am running Linux on an old Mac as a firewall/router, and can share my
>cable modem connection among a number of computers. Is it possible to
>"redirect" NIE to use the Etherwave localtalk adapter to make an
>internet connection on my Newton? The only options seem to be PPP or
>SLIP; I don't know where to go from here to get the Newton to see the
>Etherwave adapter. If this is not possible,

I don't think it's possible with a 130 if you don't have "MacIP" listed
as an option and a MacIP server available. That's possible on a 2x00,
though, as it does support MacIP. I don't think that was available on a
130 but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I recently bought back my old
130 from a friend who was given a Handspring Visor, but he'd removed NIE
and I haven't reinstalled it.

> I suppose the only alternative will be to try to get a real ethernet card.
Ideas, anyone?

No, that's not an option on a 130. They don't support Ethernet for
TCP/IP or AppleTalk. They only support LocalTalk and serial. You can
only do Ethernet on a 2x00 Newton or an eMate.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com