Re: NTLK Re: the battery on this card is bad?!@#%^

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 03:25:13 EST

On 2/19/2000 6:57 AM, KGiordimai@aol.com [mailto:KGiordimai@aol.com]
wrote:

>Hello,
>I occasionally get a message saying the battery on my Intel Flash Value
>Series 100 card is low. The thing is a standard 5volt Operation card(6MB).
>What does this all mean? and am I going to get the frightfull 'something is
>now wrong with your Newt ' message of some sort??!!

You probably need to apply a more recent Apple System Update to your
Newton - that sounds like a bug that Apple fixed in a System Update. (The
cards don't have batteries, only the old static RAM cards that don't
think were sold for very long and aren't available any more had
batteries).

>Appreciate some help here...thanks. Newtons are definitely the best but boy
>would it be nice if Apple got off their ^&(*&^ and put another one on the
>market.Especially one with a little screen real estate as opposed to these
>puny little screens that are on offer now. Definitely not enough to do any
>serious work on, ie: huge to-do lists etc.

It'll never happen - NewtonOS is dead and the Apple employees who made it
are scattered to the winds. I don't think most even work for Apple
anymore. The trend in PDA screens is smaller, not larger (Palm, WinCE).
The large-format screen WinCE machines such as the Clio aren't selling
very well (nor is WinCE on any size screen.) If Apple did release
another PDA it'd likely either be a custom PalmOS unit, or a MacOS
Lite-based job (the original MacOS from the mid-80's would fit very well
into a PDA...the PalmOS and the microprocessor they use is actually
surprisingly similar to an old 1986 Mac Plus....)

  - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com