NTLK Re : Y2K Newton OS 2.0 “Dates” Bug ? ! ? !

From: DrNewton (DrNewton@grapevine.net)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 00:41:45 EST

In NewtonTalk 251, Jim Johnson wrote :

I had a similar experience with my UMP2K last week while updating some
birthdays/anniversaries. It only happened to me while only using a two digit
year. Say, 3/16/68 instead of 3/16/1968. The date set up in Names as
3/16/2068.
I don't know if I'd call this a 'bug', since how is the computer supposed to
know which century you want the date in unless you tell it? Once I used a
four digit year, everything set up nicely as expected.
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim,

I WAS setting a 4 digit year. It just wasn't "sticking" !
I WAS telling it the century the Event occurred.
That is why I wrote :
> 8. I then examined one of the Names I had entered and the Birthday Year
> entry was not as I had set it ( 19XX ). It didn't stick ! It was 20XX !
> Whoa !

This IS a "Y2K Bug" !

Best Regards,
David Watson