Re: NTLK Pen Alignment Problems

From: T.M. Camp (tmcamp@fusionary.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 09:32:30 EST

I, very self-righteously, wrote:
>> C'mon, people. Don't poison the well for everyone just to make a point,
>> hassle Apple, or get something for nothing.

Robert Benschop responded:
>Hm, wouldn't call making sure that get the max out of it (and still forking
>out $ 189) getting something for nothing, if you think $ 189 is nothing
I'll
>b every happy to give you my bank account number.

Let me put it back into context. I was writing in response to someone who
had said that they planned to send Apple a smashed handful of green plastic
from an empty Newton case they had. Just to see if they could get a free one
in return.

And, well, yeah, that does sound like something for nothing. It also sounds
like fraud -- though perhaps not in the legal sense.

In contrast, waiting for a number of problems to accumulate with your Newton
(scratched/broken screen, broken door latch, cracked IRDA window, etc.) in
order to maximize the flat rate Apple is charging seems perfectly
reasonable.

Five year service plan notwithstanding, I don't see Apple being particularly
pleased with someone jerking their chain and I think it would only effect
the level of service (responsiveness, quality, etc.) that legitimate people
in need of genuine repairs would receive. Just 'cause someone wanted to get
something for nothing, be a smartass, or stick it to Apple.

So there.

Nyah.

Very glad nothing is wrong with either of my Newtons (yet...),

T.M.
   Fusionary Media tmcamp@fusionary.com
   Grand Rapids, MI 616.454.2357 voice

about us at some time. Find out why at: