Re: NTLK Someone help! Dock , error -48807

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond@netcom.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 01:02:39 EST

At 12:31 AM -0500 2/18/00, NewtonTalk wrote:
>My system soup often gets corrupted. Backup and reinstall everything except
>that. You don't need it as you can build it again. You'll loose
>your presonal
>word list, hand writting prefs, shareware registrations etc, but it doesn't
>take long to rebuild them. I still have a problem with my system soup that
>causes any help file that I open to keep the highlight bars into the next
>screen. For example, say I open up help, then click on one of the topics, in
>the next screen will be the topic, but also the highlighted area of the topic
>label that I clicked on. Weird, but not enough for me to spend hours getting
>rid of it.

Except--Be careful of NewtFTP, Super Newtris, or any other app from
Tactile Systems! They use unique registration keys generated at the
time of first installation and if you wipe your system soup without
restoring the slot containing Tactile's reg code you will lose your
registrations. It happened to me once when I was trying to clean out
my system. This in itself would not be a disaster if Tactile issued
replacement reg codes, but in my experience they DO NOT. I don't know
whether they're out of business or not, but they never answered the
telephone the many times I called them, nor did they return any of
the voicemails or e-mails I left. I ended up restoring my System soup
from an old backup, (losing some folder data and a lot of time in the
process.) Oh, while poking around (trying to restore use of the
software I had paid for) I also figured out a way to hack their reg
codes to allow the demo period to be reset indefinitely, just in case
I get in a similar pickle again.

So anyway, beware of wiping the system soup if you have Tactile
software registered!

-Jeremy

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com