Re: NTLK just wondering, age??

From: Sunder (sunder@anon7b.sunder.net)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 12:55:58 EST

Khaled wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suggest that it would be better if we register at the Newton Registry
web
> site at ( http://newtongallery.virtualave.net/ ), this would be a
central
> location for all of us were we can sort entries by age or location or
> whatever. Think that is better than posting ages and names on the talk
> digest.

Indeed, but even that's a bad idea.

While this may seem to be a cute thing, you guys are giving away lots of
information about yourselves that is valuable to spam-ketteers. I don't
know about you, but I'm getting enough spam already.

Age, gender, location, and email addresses are worth gold to these scum...

I'm sure they'll figure out some info to squeeze out of the fact that we
share a common interest in Newtons as well.

At the same time, this mass demographic posting is unlikely to be worth
very much to the members of this list except a curiosity in passing, and
to those who aren't interested, it's a waste of email they aren't going to
read, or will read and likely delete. So why do it?

Even putting this up on a web page makes the spammer's lives easier.

All I'm going to tell you about myself is that I own several newtons, some
of them are 2100's, and I'm hosting a mirror of newton mad at
http://www.sunder.net/newtonmad :)

--
 + ^ +  Sunder              "Only someone completely distrustful of   /|\

****************************************** This month's NewtonTalk brought to you by:

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com