NTLK Moem not working

From: John Baughman (johnbdh@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 23:27:09 EST

    I have been using an Apollo 33.6 PCMCIA card with my Newton 2000 for
several years now and it has worked flawlessly. I have primarily used it to
simply dial voice numbers for me from a names entry using Assist.

    I should say I have been nursing it over the last year as the wire
connector is now permanently stuck in the card after being tripped over in a
hotel room and the other end no longer stays connected to the phone jack
without a jerry rigged glued and rubber banned connector attached. Even like
this it has worked almost flawlessly over the past year with only an
occasional problem.

    Well Today it has just decided not to cooperate anymore. The Newton
recognizes it's there when I put it in it's slot, but when I ask Assist to
call someone it says "Preparing Modem" and then after a few seconds beeps
and says "A communications problem has occurred". I suspect it's is not able
to get the dial tone which could be related to the bad cable. Listening in
on the phone's hand set, I don't even hear the modem making an attempt.

    Is there any chance that this is not a cable problem but something wrong
in the Newton. Anything I can do to trouble shoot this at the Newton end?

    If there's nothing I can do, any recommendations for a new modem
available today that will work with the Newton 2000?

Thanks
John

PS: I have gone to the Palm trough several times over the past year and
turned away because as far as I can tell the Palm cannot perform the simple
task of dialing through a modem from it's address book at least not with the
finesse and convenience that the Newton's Assist does it.

--
John Baughman
BY'te DESIGN Hawaii

****************************************** This month's NewtonTalk brought to you by: