Re: HOW Internet via Ethernet was Re: NTLK Connecting Newton to an iMac?

From: bettyy@earthlink.net
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 19:10:10 EST

I guess I could have been more descriptive. :-)

You need to install internet sharing software on your Mac. I used Friendly
Share from Asante (no affiliation but I won the package at the last
MacWorld); although, most people seem to use IPNetRouter (and I don't
remember who makes that). You enable the software to assign DHCP, then you
should be able to set your Newton to connect to the internet via ethernet
with the DHCP server. That should be it.

As for seeing the Newton from your Mac, the only way to do that is through
NCU. I don't think you can mount your Newton onto the desktop.

Good luck!

Betty
mailto:bettyy@earthlink.net

At 5:26 PM +0200 2/13/2000, Till wrote:
>>>How can you do that? I am not very experienced with Macs and could not
>>>figure it out on the fly. My ethernet card is working perfectly with NCU,
>>>but I cannot see the Newton in the network overview.
>>>Best regards,
>>>Till
>>
>>You can not see Newtons in the Chooser or Network windows, as they do
>>not act as AppleTalk servers, only clients. If you switch "File
>>Sharing" off on a Mac, it will also disappear...
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Chris
>>
>Okay. I tried to connect (Mac has an active Internet connection, File
>Sharing is activated, and the Newton has an Ethernet Internet Setup (DHCP,
>no domain name)), and the Newton always tells me that there is a problem
>with the DHCP server. Do I have to enter the information myself (Manual)?
>
>Best regards,
>Till

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com