RE: NTLK Avis Backdrop picture Web site

From: Steve Vander Ark (vderark@bccs.org)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 08:19:08 EST

> Taking this approach, the London Underground map better come off too.

I'm not making recommendations for anything to come off of anywhere, believe
me. I'm just saying what's "legal" and what isn't. My personal philosophy is
that I don't go around telling people what to do (except my own staff, who
are paid to do what I'm paid to tell them).

> Again, I'm not a lawyer but as a journalist I frequently use snippets
> of items (music, ads, movies etc) on a "fair dealing" basis and not
> for commercial gain. For some longer items we pay fees.

We do too. That's called "fair use" and schools are particularly free to
make use of copies of things in an educational setting. Heck, I can make
copy or an overhead of a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon if I want to should it
apply to something I was teaching. I don't get to keep it forever, but I can
make and use it.

> Interestingly while our legal department allows some flexibility on
> these things - our librarians are incredibly tightfisted copyright
> monitors.Steve?

Yeah, they train us pretty good :)

> No offence meant - I know the kind of infringements librarians see....
> but weren't you the guys that introduced us to photocopiers at the
> door of every library.

The ones with the "Don't copy copyrighted material!" signs on them, right? I
have one in my library and I teach kids how to use it legally. And then they
go ahead and copy whatever they want, regardless of what I say. Welcome to
real life.

> What did you think we were copying... our own novels?
>
> Hey, put some pics on the site and see if we get sued I say! As if.

Being an uptight librarian ;) I won't say anything, I'll just nod
vigorously. Just don't tell the American Library Association on me :)

Steve

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com