Re: NTLK Re: Wireless Connectivity for MP2x00?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 02:54:46 EST

On 2/8/2000 1:35 AM, Jeremy Bond Shepherd [mailto:jbond@netcom.com]
wrote:

>>PC equipment works generally fine in Apple products. Take for example
>>the Pretec cards, the Farallon ethernet card or the various modem cards.
>>The Merlin card should appear as like a communications card (Hayes
>>commands should work w/o problems).

Has anyone TRIED the Merlin card in a Newton? I was getting the
impression from various things I've read about it that it worked just
like a Hayes compatible modem card. If it does and there is coverage in
my area...woohoo!

Maybe I'll have to call 'em....

>Maybe modem cards but not Ethernet cards certainly. Well, I guess
>this is merely speculation until I put my money where my mouth is.
>
>-Jeremy

Some PC Ethernet cards work fine in the Newton, either with a driver or a
patch to the Farallon driver. (The Farallon Ethernet cards that work in
the Newton also come with Mac _and_ PC drivers too....Farallon's cards
are just rebadged 3Com cards as they have the 3Com logo on them too).

See Victor Rehorst's Ethernet page on his Newton Resources site for info
on all the networking cards that will work with the Newton, or search
Info-Newt or the FAQ hosted at Info-Newt (URL below) for "ethernet" for
more links and info. Searching Info-Newt should find you ALL of the
above-mentioned sites, in fact.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com