RE: NTLK RE: newtontalk V1 #239

From: tmaloney@ixl.com
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 15:01:25 EST

so the system and default apps take up the 8 megs of rom? why advertise it
on the box if it doesn't really matter to the user? it seems sort of useless
to do that.
they advertise it like it's hard drive storage space or something. so is it
a good idea to leave a certain amount of internal storage space free? if so
how much?

Thanks,
Tim

>>I don't know how you can get the ROM size. I would think that 8MB is just
right,
since that's what I have on my 2100. Now, you need to remember that ROM
stands
for "Read-Only Memory". You can't use that part of memory to store
something.
However, a lot of things can be stored when the ROM is burned and those
things
can then be read later, to save the amount of memory needed to run
applications,
for instance. All the NOS is stored in ROM. Same goes for all default
applications that are provided. There is nothing you could do that could
possibly erase any default application, or the OS itself, since the ROM
can't be
written over.

The Newton OS was carefully designed to maximize the amount of memory it
has.
Part of it deals a lot with the content of the ROM, and can save some
memory.
But, you just can't read to ROM. To get the total amount of system RAM, open
Extras, then "Memory Info" from the little "i" menu at the bottom left. It
should say something like: "System RAM Installed: 9999K", where 9999 would
be
2048, or something close. But, again, there has been some time since I
looked at
this information, so I might be slightly wrong.. I don't have my 120 with me
at
work, but if you want the exact amount, email-me at
<mailto:nemesys@ix.netcom.com>, and I'll check it for you. I brought my 2.0
120
brand new, so I know it's a real 2.0 machine.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Object Factory, Substrate Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
Fax: 703-833-7555 Usual disclaimers apply

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com