Re: NTLK RE: newtontalk V1 #239

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 14:14:08 EST

tmaloney@ixl.com wrote:

> i have a Newton 120 with 2.0 OS installed. when i look at the memory by
> opening extras, tapping the i, then tapping memory, i get a reading that
> says(with only default apps installed) i have less than 2 megs memory and
> 512k installed system ram.
> this Newton was given to me and i'm trying to find out the specs.
> could that be correct? only 512k of ram and 2 megs rom?
> or is the data i'm seeing telling me that i have 512k system ram, and the
> other measurement is the non-volatile user RAM i have left?
> the basic specs according to Apple are:
>
> 4MB of ROM, upgradable
> 2MB of RAM version: 687K of system RAM; 1,361k of non-volatile user RAM
> 1MB of RAM version: 639K of system RAM; 385k of non-volatile user RAM
>
> please respond to my email address, as i am subscribed to the digest only

As the owner of a 120 myself, that's it. It's not clear to me where are
coming the numbers at the end of your message, but 1.3 MB of RAM storage and
639K of system RAM (of which only a fraction is available for running
applications) sound about right. On my 120, with BackDrop Plus from SAI as
the default backdrop, I have about 60K of "heap" (from the system RAM) that
can be used to run application, which means everything is frozen and I'm
running only one application at a time.

However, don't let those numbers fool you. Most packages/applications on the
Newton are less than 100K in size, and require much less RAM to run. Don't
compare the Newton memory with your last desktop system. It's really not the
same.

I agree that having more memory in your Newton makes your life easier, as my
2100 showed me. On a 120, you can hardly get on the Internet, much less
browsing. The 2100, with about 400K of heap after restart, is much more
versatile, and less prone to freezes when memory is tight, since memory
almost never get tight on it...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Object Factory, Substrate Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
Fax: 703-833-7555 Usual disclaimers apply

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com