NTLK Bad News - More Internal FLASH For MP2x00......

From: DrNewton (DrNewton@kc.net)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 22:44:05 EST

NewtonTalkers,

Yesterday I posted a message about the possibility of adding additional
internal FLASH to the MP2x00.

After more investigation I have BAD NEWS to report.

The engineering doc's I have do indeed say the MP2x00 can support an
additional 8 Meg of internal FLASH to bring the total up to 12 Meg.

The problem is that a custom ROM / FLASH board would have to be developed.

My assumption ( a wrong one ) was that the FLASH could be added to the
bottom side of the stock 2.1 OS ROM board ( pads are present for 4 chips ).
The 2.1 OS ROM's are U16 and U17 on the top side of the board. The pads sets
on the bottom are for a U12, U13, U14 and U15.

The docs I have state that you MUST USE INTEL 28F016SA devices. These are
compatible with the two (2) devices on the Main Logic Board ( U16, U19 )
that supply the stock 4 Meg of FLASH. The INTEL 28F016SA FLASH chips are 56
pin TSOP devices.

The 4 pad sets on the bottom of the stock ROM board are for additional 48
pin TSOP ROM's. Not 56 pin TSOP FLASH.

Arrrrggghhhhh ! ! ! Curses, foiled again !

If only the board would have been DESIGNED for later FLASH expansion !

Best Regards,
David Watson

a.k.a. "Dr.Newton", "Digital Ocean Dave"
drnewton@kc.net
http://www.kc.net/~drnewton
Provider of the MP2000 Upgrade

about us at some time. Find out why at: