Re: NTLK Urgent -- Reading Newton Files on Mac

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 01:33:10 EST

On 2/3/2000 12:04 PM, Leland Jory [mailto:ljory@newted.dyndns.org] wrote:

>> I'm selling my Newton, and I need to move my whole address book onto my
>> desktop Mac and be able to access the info. Don't worry, I'm not getting
>> a Pilot or anything. I've backed up the contents of my Newton to the
>> Mac. So how do I read the text? I've tried opening it in Filemaker Pro,
>> Excel, Clarisworks, even Simpletext! I'm going to turn over the Newton
>> to its new owner very soon, so I'm running out of time...

You can't read the backup files directly. You have to connect your
Newton up to your computer again with NCU (presumes you using an OS 2.0
Newton) and EXPORT or SYNC the data from the Newton to one of the
available Export or Sync file formats.

>Install Palm Desktop 2.5 on your Mac (it IS a PowerMac, right?), then use
>NCU to sync to the Claris Organizer 2.0 file in the Intellisync folder (in
>NCU's folder). Actually, make a copy of
>the CO2.0 file and sync to that (not the original). Then launch Palm Desktop
>and open the copy of the CO2.0 file you sync'ed to. You should be able to
>access your Names and Dates data. For notes, you'll probably have to export
>them through NCU as RTF files or something.

Palm Desktop does Notes, too. But the notepad on the Palm doesn't support
graphics, so any graphics will be lost... it's probably a good idea to
ALSO export as RTF if you have that. Outlines and checklists are
transferred, but not as outlines or checklists as the Palm notepad
doesn't support 'em. There's also a much smaller size limit on the notes
on the Palm than on the Newton, although Palm DESKTOP may or may not have
that same limit. Any custom Newton notes stationery may or may not
transfer at all, or only the text.

And be aware that you'll want to examine EACH AND EVERY name, note, date
and to-do you transfer, as some things DO NOT transfer, some do not
transfer properly, because some things you can do with the Newton you
can't do with the Palm (such as multiple addresses per records, more than
a set number of phones numbers, more than a certain number of custom
fields, etc, etc. All phone numbers on the Newton should be changed to
something OTHER than "Phone" (sucha s "Work", "HOme", etc. before doing
this. You should note have multiple phone numbers of the same type (two
or more "Works" or two or more "Faxes", for example).

Some repeating events have REAL problems transferring to the Palm, so be
careful there.

I'd recommend exporting in ALL available formats, just in case ;-)

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com