Re: NTLK New System Version Available/Alt.rec comments

From: Michael Moss (mmoss@dab.microsun.com.pl)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 08:55:15 EST

Paul!
 Hi!

I haven't written to you in quite a while, but I just downloaded and
installed your system update. Great Stuff!! It's amazing that you were able
to achieve such a feat, with no help from Apple etc.

I have another issue: At the release of Alt.rec... I signed up to the
beta-tester list. I was not a very active member because I was unable to get
my machine to produce a Bug Trap note upon crashing. I am still unable to
generate a report, but am able to describe what is going on. Mabye this will
be of some help.
Machine: MP 2000 (standard)
Software: Notion, QuickFigure, GroceryNewt, DateMan, AssociatePlus,
ButtonBar
After I install Alt.rec (any number really but the latest I have tried was:
alt.rec....-0.6a3.pkg), I restart the Newton and everything works fine.
However, after writing three words (only after the third word, never more
nor less) the Newton shows the "thinking" lightbulb and freezes. It doesn't
crash, but it never stops "thinking". When I reset the Newton, BugTrap does
not generate a report, and the two words that I successfully wrote on the
new note are gone.

I also have an eMate 300 with essentially the same software. There is no
problem on the eMate at all. In fact, as predicted, there is an improvement
in the HWR recognition, or at least there seems to be.

Please let me know, am I doing something wrong? Is there a known conflict
going on here? I did have PowerNotes (the notes enhancement from StandAlone)
installed for a short period to demo it, and seem to remember a conflict.
But I took that software off a long time ago. Are remnents still there?

Looking forward to your responce,
Mike Moss

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com