Re: NTLK Ntlk Farallon PN595A-C

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 00:46:01 EST

On 2/1/2000 11:29 AM, Laurent Daudelin
[mailto:laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com] wrote:

>> >I have a 2000 that I intend to upgrade to a 2100. I can get a Farallon
>> >PN595A-C enet card. Is this the one that's compatible with thw 2x00? I
>know
>> .the PN595-C was, but I'm concerned about the A.
>>
>> mine's a 895 -rev b- [PN 16-0095-000] and it works fine with my newt n'
>> iMac!
>
>I have a 895? (this is not on the card itself, maybe on the
>packaging/manual) rev.
>C. That's on the package: "PN: 16-0095-000 REV:C". Works flawlessly at
>home and at
>work.
>
>-Laurent.

I have an 895 I bought recently from a vendor in Texas (he's out of them)
that I offered as a special deal on Info-Newt. This card has the same PN
number listed above (including the Rev C) (this is the one with the
Etherwave connector) and it works fine too; it came with the Newton
software. I also have a Farallon Ethernet card for the Newton I bought
several years ago from the special offer insert that came with my
MessagePad 2000 with the same PN: but this one has a male 10-Base-T
connector instead othe Etherwave 2-port minihub thingy (is this the 595?
I can't find the dang box for the old one....)

They also sold a model with a BNC style connector instead of a 10-Base-T
cable or Etherwave cable.

I do have a line on a batch of possible Newton-compatible 3Com cards
(with the patch to the Farallon driver) from the same vendor who had the
Newton cards. He's sending me one to test to see if they'll work (Thanks
to Victor Rehorst's Ethernet page for the list of Newton-compatible
Ethernet cards for helping him find more Ethernet cards that Newtoneers
can use!)

I'm also happy to report that our first Info-Newt special offer that we
ran (now expired) for Ethernet cards from the same vendor has finally
"paid off"....he was going to make a contribution for each card sold to
an Info-Newt reader to help keep Info-Newt's server up. Since we were
going to use that contribution toward buying a UPS (battery backup), he
offered to just GIVE us a UPS, since he also stocks them from time to
time (he's an equipment liquidator). I got the Best Power Technologies
"Fortress" UPS on Monday (delivered by UPS...of course!<grin>), and have
had it charging up today. I'll hook it up sometime this week when I have
the (ahem) energy to crawl behind the desk and rearrange all the wiring.
So thanks to all those folks who purchased the cards! It'll be a great
help extending the life of our server machine.

It may even have the ability to use software on the Mac that can monitor
the UPS and cause a controlled shutdown; it'll cost about $99 bucks I
think, but it's probably worth it.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com