NTLK Change of opinion

From: Matt Howe (matthowe@tir.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 12:12:58 EST

I recently posted a message of how I had been using and charging Ray-o-vac
Renewal Alkaline batteries in my Newton. Well I have changed my mind on that
practice.

Although the Renewal batteries are a great way to go when charged in their
own charger, charging them in the Newton is DEFINITLY a bad idea. While I
was away from home over the weekend I was playing a lot of Yazi (a geat game
by the way). When I came home I swapped the very depleted Renewals for my
back up set and put the others in the Ray-o-vac charger. I then sat down at
my desk and plugged in my powerpack as normal. I left this running all night
as I have done in the past. Only this time it was different, I charged fully
charged batteries all night long! Well God was watching over me as when the
battery popped inside my Newton I was sitting at the desk working and heard
it. I was able to remove it in time an clean the mess before any damage was
done although I have a nice burn on my desktop from battery fluid.

Anyway, to get to the end of this rather spammy message, Renwal batteries
are great to use in a Newton. Just don't charge them in a Newton, use the
charger that Ray-o-vac sells.

Matt "Ducky" Howe
matthowe@tir.com
www.tir.com/~matthowe