[NTLK] Developer news...

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Sun Mar 1 16:24:17 EST 2020

Hi Newtonians,

There are two little new things happening:

1: new version of "mosrun".
2: different approach to Android on Einstein (e-Ink devices, MobiScribe)

1:

For the hard core hackers: the DDK (Driver Developers Kit) came with a complete C++ developer environment that was running under MPW. This still works using BasiliskII. I find MPW difficult to learn and use, so I decided to make all thiose tools work in macOS, Linux, or the Windows shell.

'mosrun' reads the DDK tools, emulates the original m68k CPU, and simulates the MPW environment. Just type 'mosrun ---run ARM6asm', and ARM6asm will run just as if it was launched in MPW.

'mosrun' was written for 32 bit operating systems. I took the last few days to make it run under 64 bit macOS.

Link is here: https://github.com/MatthiasWM/mosrun

2:

I have started an additional port of Einstein for Android. This port is trying to be faster by being minimalistic (basically using game dev tools) and optimized for specific devices. In particular, I have been trying to get Einstein to run fast enough to be fun on e-Ink devices like the "MobiScribe". The good news is that the new port does run, and that it is possible and useful to customize it to devices. Just download the projrct from github, and load the .../_Build_/AndroidStudioNative project into AndroidStudio 3.6 and enjoy (if you don't mind AndroidStudio's quirks).

Bad news? Well, I still need to optimize further to get things fast enough, but right now I got stuck with a bug that I just can't find. Sigh. I will let you know when there is a nice and testable version.

- Matthias