[NTLK] Thanks from a Newbie!

Jim C. guardsix6 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:24:46 EDT 2020

Frank and to All,

Thanks for treating this “newbie” gently unlike some list I have been on!

Still, it’s kind of unsettling to see Subject lines starting off with, “Jim’s dead….”!  (That’s me attempting humor)

I’m not going away, I have too many strange problems that I’ll be asking you all to solve now and then.  I’ve learned that me asking a question might help someone else who's to shy to ask the same thing.

Ok, so now I’ve read everything about these ROM board swaps. Wow! What a boat-load of technical stuff you guys can discuss!  For this layman, I’m really just interested in getting my dead Newton working again. I’m not an electrician, doing anything other than opening my Newton and looking at is a far as I can go.

Frank, do you repair these things or does someone else? I’m following all the trouble-shooting steps you wrote on your website. I’ve got the dead Newton setting without a charger and no batteries. I’m leaving it like that overnight to see what happens.  So far nothing else will bring it back to life.

I’ve also got an ethernet card and I’m having fun trying to figure out how to get on the web with this thing. It’s not like you can bring up Safari and just surf the web; lots more reading to do.

Looking forward to Saturdays meetup.