[NTLK] Worldwide Online Newton Conference 2020

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sun Apr 12 19:52:01 EDT 2020

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 15:57 Pawel Piotrowski <newton at indigi.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello all Newtonians!
>
> Because we never get to planning stage of physical Newton Conference, an
> idea arose in my restless head. Worldwide Online Newton Conference 2020.
> Online video-conference. With international schedule, presenters,
> presentations, demos, and - of course - networking sessions. The time is
> bad (coronavirus), but I think because of this some of us have to stay at
> home. I thought it was a good time to organize such an event.

I think this is a great idea and I would look forward to attending as long
as I can make time in my schedule. (In the short term, that's looking to be
easy, although that's not really a good thing.)

Because we are around the world, we need to have good time schedule. I
> thought that US part of world could start about 9-10am. This give in Europe
> something like 3-4pm. For the first time we could organise something like
> 5-6 hours event, with 4-5 speakers (or longer if the presentations will be
> linger). We could use Zoom app or something like that to connect everybody.

Your suggestion of times makes sense to me, but I'm in the eastern US. I
imagine there are quite a few people in western North America who might
find a 9am start time a bit early.

I would suggest against Zoom due to some of the security & privacy issues
it has. That said, I don't currently have a good suggestion for an
alternative and they're at least addressing some of the security issues.
Maybe Microsoft Teams, but I'm unclear on the exact pricing as I don't
maintain an Office 365 account. Either way, whatever can broadcast to the
broadest spectrum of Newton users and also record the sessions.

Morgan

> --
Morgan
---