[NTLK] Starting up NewtonScript programming

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Sun Apr 12 16:21:26 EDT 2020

Hi folks,

Here is some update on current (lack of) progress.

I tried to run NTK using Wine, but Wine does not support 64bit, so it no longer runs on new MacOS. CrossOver, the commercial variant of Wine, does run however, and also runs NTK just fine. It should also allow serial port forwarding using some 'socat' trickery. It's a commercial app though (32$US IIRC).

I could not get NTK to run on MSWindows. It starts up, but then crashes after a second or so. Not sure what to do about that. Insanity driven individuals can install the Ubuntu subsytem on Windows10, emulating a Linux machine, and then install Wine under Ubuntu, emulating an (old) Windows95 machine, which would then probably run NTK... .

Also, I tried to compile Einstein on Windows, and I feel that I have to apologize. All these years, I have not built teh Windows version once, and now I get the revenge. Einstein is not compilable on Windows anymore without some bigger changes! It starts with VisualC ignoring the non-standard file extension .cp and doesn't end with incompatible changes I made over the years and never verified und MSWindows.

So, um, I guess I have to restructure Einstein yet once more to make it run on all platforms again.

SIGH!

 - Matthias