[NTLK] Is there a way to beam from emate to Mac via IR?

Grant Hutchinson newtontalkmessages at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 11:52:55 EDT 2019

>> On Jun 12, 2019, at 3:46 AM, Jon Glass <jonglass at usa.net> wrote:
>>
>> I used to beam notes from my Pismo, and packages to my Newt all the
>> time from Pismo. In fact, I installed a mirror behind the Pismo so I
>> could do the beaming without turning it around. I don't remember what
>> software I used, though... It may have been third-party. That was
>> looong ago
>
> On Jun 12, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Forrest <newton_phoenix at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> Yes; I now seem to recall a discussion here on NTLK some time ago—years—about that software.

Gathered from the Newton FAQ ...

It’s possible to use a terminal emulator and Steve Weyer’s Sloup to communicate via IrDA:

https://communicrossings.com/html/newton/sloup.htm
https://communicrossings.com/html/newton/sloup/connect.htm#IrDA

Additional information:

<https://web.archive.org/web/20110105021720/http://web.ukonline.co.uk:80/kieran.miller/newton/irda.html>

Thomas Tempelmann’s Newton Data Browser also works on PPC Macs.

http://www.tempel.org/newton/#DILplugin

Note that I have not tried these solutions, so your mileage may vary.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Interweb Custodian