[NTLK] Identifying MessagePad 120 with NOS 1.3

Grant Hutchinson newtontalkmessages at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 10:13:54 EST 2019

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 10:05 AM, NewtonTalk <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:
>
>> A MessagePad 120 that shipped with NOS 1.3 has a serial number that
>> ends in "1GQ" ...
>> whereas a MessagePad 120 that can be upgraded (or has been upgraded)
>> to NOS 2.0 has a serial number that ends in "6B5".
>
> That leaves me puzzled. To the best of my knowledge, ALL 120s can be
> upgraded, regardless of their serial number. All you need to do is swap the
> ROM board.

That is true. Just to clarify, I was referring to how the MP120s were originally shipped. When they shipped, the serial number could tell you which OS was installed.

> There are different MP120 models out there, but apart from the OS the only
> difference is the memory. If none of the 3 remaining brain cells containing
> my MP120 recollections is on vacation, the earlier model came with 1MB RAM
> and the newer model came with 2MB RAM, but both could be upgraded just fine
> OS-wise by swapping the ROM board.

Now that I think of it, the serial numbers could also reflect the amount of RAM installed when the devices shipped.

At any rate, you are correct.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Interweb Custodian