[NTLK] Newton 2100 Speed Boost Implant

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 14 15:47:19 EDT 2019

Yes I had done the same years ago, installed the faster crystal as Ed has done, with the micro-switch. But I believe what the OP is referring to is the actual Implant, which IIRC does not require soldering or hacking of the MessagePad 2x00’s board.

The faster crystal also does nor allow communications between a computer (Mac or PC) when in accelerated mode. The switch must be restored to its original configuration; also, users are warned not to flip the switch for either mode “on the fly”; the Newton is supposed to be powered down first, then the change can be made, and the machine is powered back up. While it’s been my experience that nothing really bad seems to happen if you do flip the switch while the Newton is on, some settings are messed up, so you’d have to power down and then back up to reset them anyway.

Perhaps these same limitations also apply to the Implant?

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my iPad Pro 9.7"