[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 57, Issue 5

Robert Serna japecan at att.net
Fri Sep 7 14:53:36 EDT 2018

> On Sep 5, 2018, at 10:00 AM, newtontalk-request at newtontalk.net wrote:
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 02:24:25 -0700
> From: Forrest Buffenmyer <newton_phoenix at mindspring.com <mailto:newton_phoenix at mindspring.com>>
> To: NewtonTalk <newtontalk at newtontalk.net <mailto:newtontalk at newtontalk.net>>
> Subject: [NTLK] Mail V; Voice Recorder
>
> So as was evident by the duplicate emails, I?ve been working with Mail V.
>
> I won?t go into great detail about that experience; let?s just say that I got another MP2100 out of its storage to make sure it still worked, etc. At one point I tried to send an email and could not, and after a bit realized I did not have Mail V on it, for some reason. I connected up an older Dell Latitude, an Iogear GUC-232A and the Newton?s cable and dongle to re-install Mail V and all its various parts.
>
> I could not get it to work. I recalled from before that it can be a bit finicky at times, as it wants things just so. After several hours deleting and re-entering the email parts of my Owner Info and fussing around the settings I was able to get it to work, although I have NO idea what I did finally that was so much different than what I had been doing.
>
> While it seems to work okay now, I am perplexed about one thing: no matter what I do, the email name in the Mail V Assistant says ?-no email-?. It correctly lists the incoming and outgoing server information under the also-correct name of the email. Simply put, it looks like this:
>
> (There is a check mark, then) Newton-Phoenix
> -no e-email-
> mail.mindspring.com <http://mail.mindspring.com/>              newton_pho....(it fades it out)
> smtpauth.earthlink.net:587 <http://smtpauth.earthlink.net:587/>   newton_pho...(again, it fades it out).
>
> Before any discussion ensues?all that information is correct and is the same on my other devices?except for the :587, which is the port that EarthLink now uses for outgoing mail. I had to add that or nothing was happening.
>
> I tried entering a password under Email (the first mention) in the Owner Info...I seem to recall that was not only unnecessary but actually discouraged. It did not make a difference.
>
> Any ideas? Apparently this is a non-issue and is not required, as Mail V seems to work okay. Still, I thought it WAS necessary.
>
> ALSO: I installed the Voice Recorder package. After a couple of tries it demands that I register or it won?t work. I sent an email as instructed and BIG SURPRISE it bounced. Is there a workaround for this?
>
> Mahalo,
> Forrest
>
> Sent from my iPad Pro 9.7"

  Forrest,

  I also have been trying to get MailV connected.  I can get access with my MP2100, Farallon card using Centurylink ISP to get online to so call “Newton Wesites”.  Yesterday when I
attempted MailV I see that my IP address was sent then the response after was something like “Newton connecting” then it time out after 5-7 minutes and said “application does not have enough
memory available to do what you asked”.  Easy enough so I transfered 10mb from my 32mb card to my 20mb card and started again but this time it stayed at “newton connecting” for 40 minutes
with nothing so I just disconnected.  I thought it was going to download all of the email from Newted.org <http://newted.org/> so i stopped it!  I’ll let it go overnight tonight.

  I think that voice pkg  you wanted is voicenotes and if you search the archives with “voicenotes again” you might see the answer :) When I tried it I was scared that the on/off switch would be used
too much and would break eventually.  Hope that helps and thanks for all you inputs also.

 Robert