[NTLK] Age of List

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Tue Mar 27 02:53:25 EDT 2018

When I first joined the list, I was using Claris Emailer, so this must have
been before 97 or 98. At some point I switched to Cyberdog. I would have to
look on my old Pismo to see how far back its emails go, but it has had
problems through the years. I even doubt it will boot, and if it does, I
doubt Cyberdog will run in Classic on it. I made the mistake the last time
I booted it of setting the OS 9 side as the boot, and from there, I had
problems getting it to boot to anything. I recently found my install disc
so I might be able to get it running again. I am not sure, however, if or
how I could get my old emails out of it.

Oh, and I used to do my NTLK emails on my Newton 120 with Hardy's Hello AOL
client... so yeah, it's old.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 7:38 AM Peter Fraser <pjfraser at mac.com> wrote:

> I very seldom post, but still read what people are saying. Seems to me
> I’ve been a member since at least 1999.
>
> What was the date Apple announced the end of Newton?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> -- Peter
> pjfraser at mac.com

> list if you include the years that it was Newtontalk.com? Is there an
> archive of messages pre-2001 or so? I would be curious to see what people
> were discussing in the 90s.
> >>
> >> From the bits of information I've been able to piece together over the
> years, the original list dad, Sean O’Shaughnessy started the list in August
> 1997. The archives from that 1997-1998 period were stored in a FileMaker
> database, which Sean no longer has a copy of.
> >>
> >> The earlier archives I have are the list digests circa 1999.
> >>
> >> Let me know if you want to take a peek at those.
> >>
> >> I've put some of these details in the NewtonTalk FAQ document, but be
> aware that it's still a work in progress.
> >>
> >> <
> https://github.com/splorp/newtontalk-faq/blob/master/newtontalk-faq.md#newtontalk-history
> >

> >> g.
> >
> > I was on the list back then,and if I remember correctly, Grant is right:
> Sean O'Shaughnessy.  I tend to keep most of my list emails.  I should still
> have them on another HD (I am a bit of a digital pack rat).  I will look
> around.
> >
> > -Dan
> >
> > http://newtontalk.net/
> > http://twitter.com/newtontalk