[NTLK] Love Notes to Newton

Noah Leon moosefuel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 09:54:02 EDT 2018

Thanks Dennis, Florian, Eckhart, Peter, Grant, Steven, Tony, B and Forrest! Et trés grand merci à Sylvain et Cédric aussi!

I wish I could have included everybody in the film, maybe the sequel ;-)

Thanks to everyone for the support, and especially thanks to the people who signed on as producers in the crowdfunding campaign and through generous support of your time: B, Grant, Sylvain, and Frank Orlando. You might notice Frank Orlando on the list from time to time, he did all the artwork for the film (all the newton-esque titles and animations) as well as graphics and theme for the website and social media, the T-shirt designs and artwork for the “perks.” He was invaluable in giving me feedback on early versions of the film.

Frank Gruendel also loaned me a MessagePad 120 to do some shots of the 2.0 OS. Also thanks to Matthias Melcher and his wife who hosted me at their house while I was in Dusseldorf. He is right that Newton users are nice people.

@Sylvain I have a lot of extra footage and interviews, some of it is interesting but just didn’t fit with the theme of the film, or was too technical in nature to be dealt with quickly in a short movie. Some things I have added to the “Bonus Features” section at the bottom of the Vimeo page. If I have time I will add more of the interesting short sequences there. There is a section about the Y2010 bug which I cut out, but I really find interesting. It was a bit too technical and took too long to explain but is still a good segment.

@Steven & @Eckhart I felt that way also, making the film, that a certain openness and naiveté has been lost, but maybe we’ll find our way back there slowly. I’m not a programmer and I know it’s not the same thing, but there are a few database oriented pieces of software which seem able to be both secure and share data, Wordpress is the one which I have the most contact with. However, maybe that’s not quite secure enough.

@Forrest Yes the computer history bit was cut out on recommendation from several people, but it’s still in the bonus features. David Greelish submitted that bit, he is an amateur computer historian who put me in contact with John Sculley and held an early test-screening for me, so his contribution to the film is still there in a way.

I probably mentioned we screened it at Macstock Conference and Expo and the people there loved it. It was obviously the right crowd. I got some feedback that the “Be The Match” segment partway through close to the end didn’t quite fit, but I think I will probably leave it in because, well, it’s my movie and I feel like it! ;-)

Thanks also to everyone for promoting the film. We’re out of money for advertising or distribution, so word of mouth is really important.

I have been thinking about what film might be next, and I have to say I haven’t yet found a story that I like so much or a community as great as this one. I’m happy to be a Newton user and to have been a part of this list over the years.

noah