[NTLK] Why are pen alignments needed?

Terence Griffin griffin at nist.gov
Thu Dec 6 13:36:59 EST 2018

A resistive touch sensor is separate from the display. Perfect alignment
during assembly of the device is non-trivial. And because they're
thicker and stand off from the display, there is parallax. How you hold
the device effects the location of the touch points. Capacitive sensors
are integrated into the display. The sensor layer is attached to the
display when the display is manufactured, as opposed when the device is
being assembled. One of my Palm Pilots had a nonlinear error. If I
carefully tapped the exact location for each calibration point, it would
be out of alignment on some portion of the screen. I think in the UR
corner, the touch points were stretched outward. I had to "lie" to get a
usable calibration. I never discovered what was causing the error.
Finally, if the display or touch sensor needs to be replaced,
calibration will almost certainly be necessary.

I had a comp sci prof who talked about v-hold knobs in software. In the
days of analog TVs, oscillators that were accurate and precise for the
lifetime of the TV were very expensive. So the cheap fix was to have
adjustment knob to fix things when the oscillator drifted: the vertical
and horizontal hold knobs. To keep costs down, they used the cheapest
knobs they cold fine. Since they were not pretty, and were (hopefully)
used infrequently, they were put on the back of the TV. So the v-hold
was a quick and dirty out for a difficult engineering problem. The
lesson was we should design our software to avoid needing v-hold knobs.
Touchscreen calibration maybe a v-hold knob.

- Tere