[NTLK] Was: H1000 battery and charger issue, Now: NiMH battery life?

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Sun Aug 26 15:25:12 EDT 2018

It depends on the amp hour rating.  The higher it is, the longer they will last.  I get over a month on a charge with the current batteries I have (compared to two days with a current tablet device).  Also the higher the rating they tend to be more expensive (Enloop's are generally considered to be the best but I have found others to be almost as good).  Also make sure to get batteries that are "pre charged".  That means they have low self discharge.  Without that, they will go dead in a month or two if you use them or not.

NiCad's did have a memory effect after a while to be sure, but that was often brought about faster by people that charged the batteries before they were fully drained.  There are ways to "refresh" or get them back into action, and I have seen NiMH get a memory effect as well.  Some of the better chargers have a "refresh" option to deal with this.  It is not always effective but it often helps for a while.

Battery chemistry (both NiCad and NiMH) have changed a LOT in the past 5-10 years.  I recommend getting a GOOD charger.  Not the cheap junk ones that come with the batteries if you want them to last longer.  They are usually around $30 but are worth it.  The one I have (by Opus) has a option for charging, discharging, refresh, and charge test (to determine the capacity) and can do C/D as well with the included adapters.  The newer chargers can determine the size and what type of battery you insert (although most can only charge NiCad and NiMH).

-Dan