[NTLK] H1000 battery and charger issue

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 19 07:00:49 EDT 2018

Gary:

There are individuals here on NTLK that re-cell old Newton battery cases with new Ni-MH batteries. This is generally not a task for the inexperienced, although not particularly difficult. I have performed this feat myself with several cases and later settled on other alternatives that were much less work, as detailed below.

IMHO you’re much better off doing as Pawel suggested and finding an AAA alkaline battery holder. Spoiler alert: these are rare and therefore NOT inexpensive. However, this part will allow you to use either standard AAA alkaline cells...or, what myself and many here use, NiMH cells. The Newton won’t recognize the battery case (or “sled” as we call it) even if you had a reliable charger. Go to your local retail shop and get a couple of the 4 pack AAA NiMH cells with an included charger (last I saw, about $20 US).

Now, it’s a simple matter of charging a set of the 4, putting them in the AAA alkaline battery sled and installing it in the Newton. Keep the other set in the charger and change them out as needed—you’ll always have a fresh set of charged batteries at the ready.

The NiMH batteries far outlast the alkalines; and even though the initial outlay is greater for them, you’ll probably get 100s if not 1000s of charges out of just the single pack of 4.

And, you’ll likely actually be much happier with this arrangement than the original setup.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my iPad Pro 9.7"