[NTLK] Some newcomer questions

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 12 14:57:21 EDT 2018

Several users on NTLK (here) have downloaded all of the content available at one time or another on UNNA (as it is constantly changing). Pawel Piotrowski is one such individual; after UNNA first went down he posted that he has that content available for those that might wish to access it. He is active here and will likely post a similar message soon.

The method I use to sync a Newton with an older Mac is by using a product from the company formerly known as Keyspan. This serial adapter features a Mac-centric 8-pin female DIN connector on one end and a USB connector on the other; there might be two such DIN connectors. I personally use the USA-28X B, but there are other variations. You’ll also need an old-style Apple serial cable, which has a male 8-pin DIN connector on each end, known to older Apple and Mac users as either a printer or modem cable. This is how you connect the Newton to the Mac: Newton to serial cable to Keyspan to Mac. Software drivers for the Keyspan might also be required, and are readily available from most of us here if need be (also found online).

Prior to the introduction of USB, such a cable was required for most Apple and Mac peripherals.

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my iPad Pro 9.7"