[NTLK] Power Adapter Developer's Guide

Jake Bordens jake at allaboutjake.com
Sat Apr 14 10:07:14 EDT 2018

Elias,

Thanks for the reply.  Here are my concerns with figuring this out.

1.  The power pins act like a voltage source when no adapter is connected and a sink when no adapter is present.  This means any internal circuit board can't just simply have the recommended 100k resistor between the power pins and the "adapter present" sense pin because then the battery voltage would be proving the sense voltage even when no adapter is present.  I'm currently playing with a circuit with 2 diodes such that the adapter can power the power pins but when disconnected, the power pins cannot send voltage back through the sense resistor.  However, after diode and resistor voltage drops, the sense pin comes out a handful of mA lower than the power pin.  Another idea I had was 2 mosfets to switch both the power pins and the sense pins so that they go active at the same time, but I'm not sure if that’s overkill.

2.  In my early testing, the UI hasn't shown any difference when power is connected along with a 100k resistor to the sense pin. I had hoped that the UI would show "charging" just like an external adapter.  I worry that I already burned out my sense pin because a briefly had it hooked up to 3.3v (no current limiting) thinking it was a digital input (but half of me thinks this was unlikely to do damage, but I'm not sure). (At one point I thought I had sent battery voltage to the Newton 5v rail, but the newton still works so I guess I ether didn't or I cought it before damage occurred-- oops)

3.  I'm considering USB-C's power delivery ability to provide 9v 3a and then a buck regulator to get down to 7.5v at 1a - I have a USB-PD PHY breakout board coming to play with and see what's possible.

If you'd like to chat you can find me on the Newton slack at https://applenewton.slack.com

Jake