[NTLK] Newton Ux

Forrest newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 15 01:46:49 EDT 2017

Please don't misconstrue my comments as lack of support for the Newton (and, along with that, I'm not suggesting that anyone has).

I consider myself very fortunate to have devices that run the newest versions of iOS (10) and MacOS (Sierra), as well as machines that run ProDOS, Mac OS System 6, 7.5, 9, etc., and various flavors of OS X. I mention this because the cycle appears to be: OS "__" is introduced, users adopt it; OS "__+1" is then introduced with newer machines, the older ones are left behind; and so on. The previous generations are pushed aside and forgotten until users rediscover the magic and convenience they still offer, even if some features no longer function well (Internet browsing, synchronization with other Macs, etc.), or at all.

There will always be those that are only interested in the Newest and Brightest; some that hang on to and continue to enjoy older treasured machines; and some that do both. I myself will use my Newton until it's entirely impractical to do so (which I don't see happening), or its various internal and external parts fail. This is the place that many of our former frequent participants are--still followers of NTLK but whom, for various reasons, don't use the Newton as much as before.

For them, perhaps, a newer version of Newton OS would be a welcome introduction...but one that, as Grant and others suggest, stays true in concept to the original.

I would look forward to that.

Thanks,
Forrest

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 6 Plus