[NTLK] Setup for programming environment - what and how?

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Thu Jan 19 08:41:52 EST 2017

I recently went through the process of setting up a Newton dev environment
under OS X (well, and OS 7, but more about that shortly) and had intended
to write up a blog post about it, but haven't gotten that far. Soon.

Anyway, are you planning on doing just NewtonOS programming or do you want
to program in other languages too (for example, fiddling with the Einstein
source code itself)?

Either way, check out <http://newtonscript.org/> for links to all the
various development tools, documentation, etc. NTK (Newton Toolkit) for Mac
OS (System 7-Mac OS 9.x) is definitely the easiest Newton programming
environment to learn, had the best support & documentation from Apple, and
had the most users during its peak, so there is a lot of sample & open
source code out there.

If you want to do other development than just Newton, or you want better
performance and Internet connectivity, I'd go with setting up BasiliskII <
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii> on OS X, running Mac OS
7.5.5, with NTK for Newton programming, plus Einstein running NewtonOS with
ViewFrame. Install NTK from the NewtonDev image on UNNA.org <
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/development/NewtonDev> (it was put together
by a bunch of developers to apply all the updates and such). You can use
BasiliskII's shared folders support to easily exchange files between MacOS
and OS X. The only real downside is that you can't connect NTK to Einstein
to run the Inspector or auto-install the package after compiling (though
Einstein supports installing a package via drag & drop, so it's still easy).

If you want to do only Newton development, already have a good way to
transfer data to/from your PowerBook 1400, have a full set of Newton
dongles & cables, and don't mind testing your software on your Newton
(risking data loss), then install NTK on the PowerBook (again, using the
NewtonDev image). Then you'll have everything running natively and as
originally intended, with full ability to run the NTK Inspector connected
to your Newton.

I find the OS X & BasiliskII method to be easier to start with a fresh
install and start over if you royally screw anything up (either on the Mac
or a newton side). I wrote a utility a month or so ago called
`basiliskiivm` <
http://www.makkintosshu.com/discourse/basiliskiivm-a-vm-management-utility-for-basiliskii>
which makes working with & sharing multiple VMs easy, so I could send you a
pre-packaged VM with NTK already installed if you want to try it out
(without the Mac ROM, of course).

Good luck and let us know how it goes, any questions you might have, and
what works well for you or doesn't.

Morgan

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 18:33 "Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" <