[NTLK] Newton USB Dongle

Jake Bordens jake at allaboutjake.com
Mon Feb 6 19:10:31 EST 2017

I havw also have been thinking more about Bluetooth low energy, which is why the ESP32 is interesting.  I am thinking about how the Pebble used to get calendar and contact information from an iOS app over the BLE link.  BLE isn’t related to older Bluetooth profiles, so Blunt doesn’t really help in this regard.

The idea is that we’d write a “Newton Server” iOS app and the Newton could connect and synchronize contact and calendar over Bluetooth.  (The nice thing about the BLE stack on iOS is that it’s a form of multitasking, so a Newton could request contact/calendar information at any time and the app could respond.)  Also emailing and other outbound transfers could also be made possible.   Such an app could possibly even be published to the AppStore, since it wouldn’t have anything against the rules.

Jake

On 2/6/17, 3:16 PM, "newtontalk-bounces at newtontalk.net on behalf of Matthias Melcher" <newtontalk-bounces at newtontalk.net on behalf of mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:

    > On Feb 6, 2017, at 5:39 PM, Randy Glenn <randy.glenn at gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > It looks like https://github.com/tuanpmt/esp_bridge and
    > https://github.com/krzychb/esp-just-slip have SLIP implementations for the
    > ESP8266. Might have to dig out an ESP-12F board and give them a go.
    >
    > I love it when someone else has already written the code!

    I am not sure if this is needed at all. The Internet Connection kit uses a pretty low level driver to communicate to PCMCIA cards. It would be no problem at all to communicate via the internal serial port with an ESP32. The NewtonOS kit includes all protocols except wireless encryption, which is integral part of the ESP. So no problem there.

    I have found a perfect programmable logic chip that can interface the ESP to the internal port including the required level shifting, also adding SD Card support, keyboard emulation vie WLan, and NTK and Inspector support. All we need is the ESP, the FPGA, a PCB, and the connectors, optionally an SD Card holder.

    ...and time to plug it all together...