[NTLK] Digest Mode is out of control (again)

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Mon Feb 6 13:39:38 EST 2017

On 2017-02-06, at 10:27 AM, Tim wrote:

> I subscribe via digest mode so I don't get a million+ emails from the list. What's the current digest threshold set at?

The current threshold is 25KB. Unfortunately, there's no way to set this per subscription or by the number of accumulated posts. Up until the past few weeks, the threshold had been adequate to send out a reasonable number of digests per week. The current level of traffic is quite a bit more than the list has experienced in a while. (That's a good thing, right?)

> I got one at 10:40am with five messages and another at 10:43am with 3. That's not how digest is supposed to work. Eight hours, or massive amounts of posts. Not 5 and then 3.

Part of the problem with having a threshold based on cumulative message size is that quoted text and email signatures are counted against that threshold. If list members would refrain from over-quoting in their replies to the list, that would help immensely.

> I bitch about this every year and then it calms down slightly. Last year I even left the list, yet somehow a month or 3 later was back on.

I hear your concerns. It's a delicate balance.

I'll bump the threshold up to 100KB, but the server will still send a daily digest if that size isn't reached.

Is that a decent compromise?

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian