[NTLK] [ADMIN] List Stats - January 2017

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sun Feb 5 17:24:07 EST 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 16:05 Forrest Buffenmyer <
newton_phoenix at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 5:33 am Morgan Aldridge wrote:
>
> > I personally disagree with that statement as I know how many iPad 2s are
> still in the world doing good work and running the latest version of iOS
> (and I'm personally still using an iPad mini [2] with Retina display as my
> primary computer).
>
> +1 (at the least) on that, Morgan.
>
> I'm using an iPad Pro 9.7'' with 128GB RAM and a ZAGG SlimBook Ultrathin
> Case (with detachable backlit Bluetooth keyboard--that's a mouthful!) as my
> daily computer. As such, it has almost ccmpletcly replaced my venerable
> MacBook Pro.
>
> (The ZAGG unit is plagued by an inferior plastic hinge mechanism that
> cracks over time. I designed a metal sort of bracket that fits over the
> damaged hinge area, restoring functionality.)
>
> I also use the Apple Pencil with the MyScript Nebo app. While it's not as
> good as the Newton, overall I have been pleased with the results.
> --
> Thanks,
> --Forrest
> Sent from my Newton Technology MessagePad 2100
>
> http://newtontalk.net/
> http://twitter.com/newtontalk

Nice! I'm still using the Apple Smart Case on my iPad mini. When I'm at my
desk I use my Apple Adjustable Keyboard (via a Griffin iMate) and an Apple
USB to Ethernet adapter, and occasionally my Blue Yeti mic when I'm
podcasting (all plugged into a USB hub using the Apple Lightning to USB 3
adapter which supports charging while using USB accessories). It works
surprisingly well, even for network deployment & troubleshooting when doing
on-site consults. Though I do plan to upgrade to an iPad Pro so I can have
Touch ID (really just a time-saver for 1Password), Apple Pencil support, a
faster CPU, and bigger screen. Someday.

Anyway, to bring it back around to the Newton, it feels a bit more like the
90's road-warrior days (and all my Newton use) with all the dongles and
accessories I have to schlep around, since they're not built-in. I think
the only accessory to be shared between my iPad & Newton is my Netgear Zing
WiFi Cellular hotspot. I used that to bootstrap some packages onto my
Newton from UNNA.org last week (hence the fix to better support direct .pkg
downloads so they can be "put away" on the Newton).

--
Morgan
---