[NTLK] Newton USB Dongle

Jeff Sheldon jeffsheldon at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 13:14:06 EST 2017

I've had problems with the Prolific chipset in many applications. IMHO, it's a cheap product cloned the world over and the drivers aren't well maintained. FTDI is the way to go.

Adriano is scrupulous. 11 years ago, he privately pushed me to provide details on adapters I was creating for the community to interface with iPod devices and a homebrew keyboard using the internal port. He even wanted me to store my progress on his personal storage space. When I resisted, he backed down and suggested I contact Daniel Padilla to help with the software side. After some back-and-forth, Daniel stopped responding. It seemed strange. Unexpectedly, Adriano and Daniel released new products based on the idea, though far less capable.  It watered down the idea and I shelved my Newton, then dropped off the list for some time, also hiving up on my 2100 PCB mapping project (for the sake of creating minimized designs).

If the community needs a USB solution, what would be the preference? Internal card with port, Interconnect to USB end, or RS422 to USB? Seems like the last--which people are talking about here--is the easiest and cheapest solution. All three are doable, though those JAE ports are hard to find.

-Jeff