[NTLK] Followup on mystery Newton

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Fri Dec 22 16:48:20 EST 2017

On 2017-12-21, at 8:38 AM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> I found this photo, seems to be from a web design agency who did work for Visible Interactive, showing their "iGo" handheld guide... It might be too new though.  I checked the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, and it first archived this page in 2000.
>
> <http://www.worldmind.com/media/text/clients/visible/visible2.html>
>
> But then I kept on digging and found the original Visible Interactive site (or, at least, the first one archived), and that site has different photos - especially the one with an actual hand holding the device definitely matches a Newton wearing a slick neoprene case:
>
> <https://web.archive.org/web/19980201071035/http://www.visibleinteractive.com:80/html/product.html>
>
> Perhaps the business case article changed the name of the device?

I've been digging around trying to locate more references to the "Eye-Q" product, but I'm thinking that "iGo" was the official name.

Here's a white paper written by Susan Amiran in 2001 entitled "Hand-held Mobile Computing in Museums". It mentions the Newton and Visible Interactive's iGo quiet prominently, with additional resources in the footnotes.

<http://web.archive.org/web/20060219100107/http://www.cimi.org:80/whitesite/AmirianBJM.htm>

And a 1997 CNN article (with rather tiny photos) on the use of those devices at the Smithsonian.

<http://web.archive.org/web/20050906235725/http://www.cnn.com:80/TECH/9708/06/museum/>

g.